UNIX Systems Administrator
UNIX Systems Administrator
CV Deadline: 02/10/18 @ 6 PM.
We are looking for a Unix Systems Administrator with experience as a Linux system administrator & of Shell scripting. You will also ideally have experience of/familiarity with Linux variants RHEL/CentOS/SL versions 6 and 7, server installation/commissioning/decommissioning, configuration management systems, working with system monitoring and alerting packages such as Nagios/Icinga & of working in a scientific or research environment.
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is a publicly funded organisation that is responsible for supporting, co-ordinating and promoting research, innovation and skills development. The Scientific Computing Department (SCD) provides world class leading edge computer and data storage infrastructure to support the work of world class science both within STFC, the UK and internationally.
The Research Infrastructure (RI) group currently has a need for a highly motivated individual to join a very small team on a short term basis to manage and enhance the JASMIN big data infrastructure. See http://www.jasmin.ac.uk for a description of the multi £M scale and breadth of the infrastructure that this post will contribute to (45PB high speed data storage, 10,000’s of CPU cores of HPC and VMware and RHEL/OpenStack virtualised infrastructure and cutting edge high performance networking).
You will work closely with the systems and hardware team within the RI Group to ensure that the services are able to meet the scientists’ requirements in delivering a user focused production environment.
Tasks may include
- Developing and deploying monitoring and alerting tools and metrics for new and unique storage and virtualisation platforms. Including Prometheus, influxDB, elastic search, Grafana and Icinga2
- Building and expanding of a large (200 node) OpenStack deployment including creation of cluster-as-a-service building blocks and templates.
- Deployment of OpenShift or similar container platforms.
In addition you will be asked to contribute to day to day support tasks for example
- Installing and upgrading application packages
- Evaluation of new releases of operating systems and tools
- Working on developments in the virtualised infrastructure
- Assisting with day to day running of the infrastructure including diagnosis and fixing operational problems as they arise
- Co-ordination multiPByte data migrations
Contacts and Communication
- You will report to the RI Group JASMIN Infrastructure Manager
Personal Skills and Attributes
- Good Communication skills both verbal and written.
- Good Organisational Skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as with diversely experienced staff
- A proactive / Self starter attitude to tasks and problems
Any other Relevant Information
- Able work in an air conditioned, noisy data centre within a hearing protection zone requiring wearing of hearing protection equipment.
- As well as bringing your experiences to the project, the small size of the team means that you will gain experience in all the many areas of the infrastructure such as HPC and Big Data.
- Professional experience as a Linux system administrator
- Shell scripting
- Familiarity with Linux variants RHEL/CentOS/SLversions 6 and 7
- Server installation/commissioning/decommissioning
- Experience of configuration management systems
- Working with system monitoring and alerting packages such as Nagios/Icinga
- Experience of working in a scientific or research environment
As well as the specific experience required above you will have the necessary qualifications, skills & experience to take control of this requirement from its inception to its completion.
If you meet the experience required above please call/mail me asap for more information. Thank you.