The Operations Manager will have responsibility for the delivery of services by the Town Council covering a range of areas, managing a group of employees working in facilities, green spaces, IT, tourism and events. Given the size of the team, the Operations Manager is a senior role within the staffing structure, reporting to the Town Clerk as the Proper Officer and Responsible Financial Officer, and is expected to be public-facing and to deal professionally and appropriately with residents.
They will bring knowledge and experience of managing people, as well as some outsourced services. They will provide advice and support to the Town Clerk and to elected Councillors (where appropriate) to maintain and improve services within the town, and to promote the best interests of the town in line with a public-service ethos.
The Operations Manager will be an experienced people and services manager, with a straightforward attitude to service delivery and a positive, solution-focused approach. They will know how to get the best out of their people and resources, working alongside elected members to achieve the best possible outcomes for the town. They will not be afraid to get involved, and constructively engage in discussion, while preserving the political neutrality required in a public servant. A good communicator, the role will be able to work well with stakeholders and employees, and to handle day-to-day requirements of a senior manager in a service-focussed role.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Procurement of services as required or directed by the Town Council;
- Management of performance of SLAs, whether the Town Council is the purchaser or provider;
- Development of procedures and documentation in line with regulatory requirements or policy direction from the Town Council;
- Oversight of Town Council facilities, green spaces and other areas that are under Town Council management, directly or indirectly;
- Definition of operational service structure, within the defined budget;
- Human Resource Management (supporting Town Clerk across whole staffing structure);
- Liaison with community groups and other stakeholders;
- Promotion of the Town Council and its role in the community;
- Liaison with Wiltshire Council Officers;
- Other duties appropriate to the seniority of the role.
- Managed by the Town Clerk;
- Works alongside Finance Officer and Communications Manager;
- Manages Hall Manager, IT Manager, Tourism and Events Manager and other staff as may be required;
- Co-ordinates and oversees Town Council volunteer activities and groups;
- Liaises with Councillors, including committee chairs and Leader of the Council;
- Liaises with Wiltshire Council Officers.
Qualifications and experience
- Educated to a minimum of degree level;
- Minimum of 4 years' experience in a similar role
- Experienced people manager with working knowledge of Employment Law;
- Experience of managing outsourced contracts, both as a purchaser and supplier;
- Experience of managing a budget within defined parameters and achieving best value within the context of local policies.