Senior Media Relations Officer
The Local Government Association (LGA) is looking to recruit a senior media relations officer to join the national press office for local government.
You will play a senior role in supporting the work of the LGA's media team to promote and protect the interests of local government, and ensure the sector has a voice in the big political stories of the day. From elderly care to education and potholes to policing, we deal with a huge array of different stories and are always in the news.
Working in our Communications Directorate, your main duties will include:
- Generating positive, proactive news stories which reflect the LGA's corporate and campaigning objectives
- Rebutting negative news stories about local government
- Providing advice and counsel to elected members and senior staff, preparing briefings for high-profile media interviews
- Working on policy-driven campaigns which reflect the priorities of our member authorities and the people they serve
- Supporting member authorities by offering guidance, advice and help with crisis communications
- Provide communications and media support for our commercial contracts with external organisations
As a senior member of the team, you will help us generate proactive stories which set the news agenda and secure positive, high-profile, national news coverage for local government.
We are looking for someone with significant media relations experience working in a political environment. Educated to degree level, you will have a track record of working under pressure to cut through complex policy issues to secure national media coverage and experience of working in a political environment.
The ideal candidate will have excellent personal and influencing skills that are required to build good working relationships in a complex political organisation.
You will have a thorough understanding of the major issues facing local government and the way it works so you can hit the ground running. A positive, 'can do' team player you will arrive full of ideas about how local government's voice can be heard on the national stage.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone with media relations experience who wants to become an integral part of one of the busiest press offices in England.
For further information and to apply online, please visit our website via the button below.
Closing Date: 5pm, Friday 6 April
Interview date: Date to be confirmed
The LGA values diversity and encourages applications from all sections of the community