Strategic Lead / Strategic Programme Manager - Visitor Economy
Job Title: Strategic Lead: Visitor Economy
Location: Melton or Lowestoft
Salary: £35,934 - £39,782 pa
Job Type: Full Time, Fixed Term for 3 years (37 hours per week)
Your base of work will be their offices in Melton or Lowestoft, but there are opportunities for flexibility with potential regular home working or working flexibly across their partner offices.
They are looking for an individual who is educated to degree level or equivalent, who has previous experience of developing, managing and delivering strategies within the public sector and an understanding of the role of the visitor economy. You will need excellent communication skills and the ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of partners and stakeholders
The visitor economy is more broadly defined than the tourism sector. As well as holiday accommodation, visitor attractions, and travel businesses, it includes the arts and creative sector, cultural venues, performance spaces and performers, heritage buildings and natural landscapes and the broad sport, leisure and active lifestyle offer.
Pubs, restaurants and other hospitality businesses are also integral to sustaining domestic and international visits, and rely on these visitors to survive. There is therefore a strong inter-relationship and dependency with much of the wider economy, particularly high streets.
- Develop and lead a strategic approach for the development and growth of Suffolk's visitor economy sector as part of Suffolk's wider COVID 19 recovery plans
- Work in partnership with all Suffolk local authorities, Destination Marketing Organisations (DMOs), New Anglia LEP, and regional and national agencies in developing their evidence base to support future investment in and development of their wider visitor economy
- Develop and work with officers in partner organisations on a coordinated programme of initiatives focused on the visitor economy
- Engage with and contribute to the work of a range of different stakeholders that impact upon their visitor economy
- Work with their partners, skills teams, and training providers (FE colleges / others) to understand how they can provide a strategic approach to support employees in the sector looking for new roles / new skills due to business closures / redundancies alongside wider employment support programmes that are in development
- Engage with DMOs to understand their role, the impact of the promotional work they undertake and opportunities for income generation
- Manage the annual programme budget attached to this post (up to £20K per annum) and report on the impact of this spend
- Be responsible for the preparation of technical information, graphical information, presentations and reports
- Be responsible for co-ordinating, measuring, monitoring and reporting on the visitor economy sector within Suffolk to partners and elected members as relevant
- Support and, when necessary, deputise on behalf of the Partnership Manager in the overall development of Suffolk's approach to economic recovery from COVID 19
- To undertake such other duties as may reasonably be required compatible with and/or arising from those listed above
- To promote and adhere to the workplace values of their organisation and all members of the Suffolk Growth Partnership
- Previous experience of developing, managing and delivering strategies / sector based approaches within the public sector
- Knowledge of structure and operation of regional/local government, including an understanding of the role of the visitor economy
- Experience of working with partner agencies
- Excellent experience of using project Microsoft Office (Outlook/Word/Excel, PowerPoint) and GIS
- Experience of using IT to support programme management
- Ability to work on own initiative as well as work effectively part of a team
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) with ability to relate effectively at all levels with other officials, external agencies, elected members and the public
- Presentation of reports to various audiences (committees, boards etc.) and ability to explain complex subjects
- Ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of partners and stakeholders
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
In return, the Council can offer great opportunities for training and development. They want you to stay with them for the long-term, so they will give you all the support they can to build a great career with the organisation. There is also a superb benefits package including flexible working options and purpose built brand new office accommodation, as well as a generous leave entitlement, discount scheme, pension scheme and free car parking.
Please click on the APPLY button and you will be REDIRECTED to the Council's careers page to complete the application form.
Due to the current situation with Covid-19, the majority of their teams are working from home and there is strict social distancing measures in place for the limited number of staff working from their offices. If you wish to discuss how that might impact your working arrangements if you were the successful candidate, please feel free to bring this up during the recruitment process.
Candidates with experience of: Strategic Programme Manager, Programme Manager, Government Project Manager, Public Sector Programme Management, Strategic Project Lead, Strategic Project Manager, Public Sector Services Manager, Business Projects Manager, Public Sector Project Management, Local Council Project Manager, Council Project Officer may also be considered for this role...... click apply for full job details