Deputy Chief Executive and Section 151 Officer
Deputy Chief Executive and Section 151 Officer
£86,275 per annum (plus up to £8,000 relocation package)
37 hours per week
The Cotswolds is recognised as one of the most desirable places to live and visit in the South West., but this role isn't a 'quiet little number' in the Cotswolds. It's an exciting opportunity for an experienced individual to join our senior management team, to lead, influence and shape decisions that really do make a difference.
As a proactive and visionary Council, we like to get things done. We're keen to embrace the future and tackle challenges head on for the benefit of our businesses and communities.
As Deputy Chief Executive and Section 151 Officer, part of the Corporate Leadership Team, you'll be working really closely with the Chief Executive and Director of Governance & Development as together we deliver our exciting and ambitious Corporate Plan. You'll create strong relationships with our Members, partners, and stakeholders, providing expert financial advice and guidance to ensure exemplary and forward thinking service delivery.
You'll be working as part of a great team, responsible for ensuring that the Council has effective financial arrangements. Reporting to the Chief Executive, this role includes responsibility to discharge the statutory duties as the Council's Section 151 Officer. You'll use your aptitude, experience and 'can do' attitude to ensure that the council fulfils its lawful obligations and functions and delivers the Corporate Plan priorities in accordance with the law and principles of good financial governance.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced, innovative leader who is comfortable in a hands-on role directly involved in operations and change management, whilst also innovating and developing strategy.
You will need
- A CCAB recognised accounting qualification
- Extensive post qualification experience at a senior level within an accountancy and audit environment.
- Experience of providing strategic direction and strong leadership in a previous senior finance or management role
- An ability to interpret and communicate complex financial information in plain English to non-financial managers and members
- Evidence of post qualification personal and professional continued development
- Good level of IT skills - MS Office
- To be able to Communicate effectively at all levels (excellent verbal and written skills)
- To achieve results through others
- Previous experience of undertaking duties of Chief Finance Officer as set out in section 151 of the Local Government Act 1972 (highly desirable)
- Experience of working within the local government/public sector environment (desirable)
- Ability to travel
- This post designated as politically restricted in accordance with the Local Government and Housing Act 1989. Politically restricted post holders are restricted from canvassing on behalf of a political party or for a person who is, or seeks to be, a candidate for election to a local authority, the House of Commons, or the European Parliament.
Closing date for CV's: Wednesday 8 th June at midnight
First stage technical Interview Date: Monday 20 th June by video call
Final interviews- Monday 27 th June at Cotswold District Council office
What can we do for you
- Agile working allowing a mix of home and office working
- Flexible working arrangements (depending on the role)
- 26 days paid annual leave (pro rata if you are working part time) plus bank holidays, which increases to 29 days after five years of service
- In addition you will have an extra two volunteering days a year for you to support a charity of your choice
- Health cash plan giving you cash back on health, dental and eye care
- Generous contributory local government pension scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme 24/7, providing positive, preventative and supportive advice and counselling to deal with everyday events and issues
- Cycle to work scheme
- Salary sacrifice car lease scheme with huge tax and NI savings to be made on electric cars
- Paid for access to digital financial advice (covering mortgages and other finances)
- Generous sickness cover above statutory entitlements
Terms and conditions apply
These are just a handful of the benefits that you can enjoy when you join us!
How to apply
To apply for this position please click on "apply now" within this page and submit one combined document, which includes your CV and supporting statement. Please tell us about your skills, knowledge, qualifications, experience and how they meet the criteria listed above and in the job description/person specification. It's important that we're a good fit for each other, so let us know what's important to you and why you want to work for Cotswold District Council. Your application will not be considered if you have not provided a supporting statement, in addition to your CV.
Accredited of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy/ies - Please state this within your covering statement or in a separate email.
It is important that our staff reflect the diversity of our community, and we therefore welcome and encourage applications from people of all genders and sexual orientation, those from Black, Asian, and other minority ethnic backgrounds, and those with disabilities.
Safer recruitment practices are applied to all job vacancies. Successful candidates will be required to complete a pre-employment medical questionnaire; provide references; proof of identity; nationality and immigration status; three years' employment or education history (if applicable) and, in some cases, verification of criminal record.