CHILDCARE SOLICITOR / BARRISTER
CHILDCARE SOLICITOR / BARRISTER
Location: Yate, South Gloucestershire
Salary: £39,783 - £42,683 pa
Hours: 37 per week
Generous pension provision and flexible working pattern.
Relocation package available (subject to eligibility).
Are you looking for a new opportunity as a Childcare Solicitor?
We are currently recruiting for an experienced advocate to carry out the work of a Solicitor/Barrister in the Legal Services Division, with particular emphasis on the work in the area of Children’s Social Services.
You will be responsible for providing legal advice and assistance, including representing the Council at tribunals, inquiries, courts and such other forums at which the Council requires representation, and advising the Council at committee meetings and panels.
- Support a busy team to ensure the effective delivery of child care legal work for the Council, in particular responsibility case work and negotiating and managing projects that meet business needs and service standards.
- Undertake a wide ranging & complex childcare caseload, to manage your own time effectively and prioritise workload appropriately.
- Provide high quality legal advice and advocacy in the Family Court, to include the Magistrates’ Court and advocacy at higher level, liaising with officers of the Court, solicitors, barristers and their staff, and members of the public as appropriate.
- Represent the Legal division at internal meetings with the client department, and provide legal advice to Panels, including advice on threshold.
- Provide legal advice, managing a case, undertaking advocacy and meeting with clients, to take responsibility and demonstrate competence thorough preparation, research and application of rigorous analytical problem solving methods.
- Keep all relevant parties informed of the progress of the case, taking due regard of Court dates, priorities, deadlines, in accordance with any working procedures adopted by Legal Services.
- Ensure that output and quality of work complies with current regulations/legislation/Court practice and produce accurate reports and complex data for customers that fulfil statutory requirements.
- Build positive working relationships within the Legal Services and with client departments, to identify and agree action in relation to development needs, providing training and information sessions to enhance expertise.
- Evaluate own working processes and identify effective and improved working methods.
- Provide cover for colleagues in work of a similar nature and undertake such other duties considered appropriate to the grading of the post as required by Team Manager.
- Be an admitted solicitor or a Qualified Barrister
- Have a sound understanding of child care law
- Demonstrate a sound knowledge of Data Protection, Public Interest immunity and immigration law in so far as this is relevant to Children Act proceedings.
- Have demonstrable experience of managing a complex caseload.
- Be an experienced advocate
- Able to work with limited support and supervision, work as part of a team under pressure within tight timescales and ability to build and maintain positive working arrangements with colleagues, clients and all other relevant parties
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills and effective IT skills
- Have experience/knowledge of local government law and practice, Data Protection law, Immigration Law and PII in so far as it is relevant to children Act casework
- A member of the Law Society Children Panel.
For an informal discussion about the post, please contact Karen Moore (01454) 864227
DBS: Please note that it is a requirement of employment that an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check is obtained for this post. This means that you must declare any criminal convictions, cautions, reprimands or final warnings unless these are ‘protected’ as defined by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) order 1975 (as amended in 2013).
South Gloucestershire Council is committed to treating everyone fairly, to challenging inequalities and to promoting equality of opportunity for all. We welcome applications from everyone and value diversity in our workforce.
£39,783 - £42,683 pa