Head of Special School Transformation
Wiltshire Council is transforming how it delivers special school education. The Council is proposing to make a significant investment to open a state-of-the-art special school by 2023 which will be key to a system of excellence and inclusion to support children with SEN&D in mainstream schools and post 16 provision. The proposal also includes closing three existing special schools by September 2021, although the new school will operate across the three sites until at least 2023.
About the Role
You will lead a significant and complex programme of work to transform special schools in Wiltshire, both in terms of improving sufficiency and quality. With responsibility for a high-profile programme of work, you will manage a significant project plan and budget, as well as provide advice, updates and support to the Corporate Director, Cabinet Member and Directors of Education & Skills and Commissioning.
As well as leading the successful implementation of the Council's final proposal following consultation, you will be responsible for the engagement of those affected throughout the programme. You will also drive the transformation and continuous service improvement for provision in special schools and post 16 SEND provision.
Key to your success will be developing relationships and networks across the council and wider partners, (e.g. head teachers, staff and governors, parents/carers, college principals, Wiltshire Parent Carer Council, DfE, Regional Schools Commissioner), whilst also being a role model for the Council's behaviours framework.
You are likely to be a graduate with a proven track record of implementing transformational change programmes within an educational setting, preferably within the special school sector. You will possess a qualification in project management, (e.g. PRINCE 2, MSP or equivalent), and/or have significant project management experience. Ideally you will have worked as a senior leader within a special school environment, or as a senior advisor on SEN&D and have substantial experience of working in local government or similar complex organisations.
What we can offer you:
- The opportunity to work for a unitary Council which is truly innovative and was recommended as the "Best UK local council to work for 2017" by Glassdoor.
- An attractive "moving home" package for eligible candidates relocating closer to Wiltshire where there is the opportunity to live in a beautiful county where the cost of housing is competitive, crime rates are low and with great accessibility to Bath, Bristol and the south west coast and accessible to London by road and rail.
- 25 working days holiday plus bank holidays, rising to 30 after 5 year's service (pro-rata for part-time staff).
- Access to the local government pension scheme.
- Access to an excellent range of discounts, cashback and subsidised products and services with national and local retailers via our Wiltshire Rewards scheme.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults.
Interviews will be held week commencing 16th September 2019.