Head of Resources, Commissioning
Wiltshire Council is transforming how it commissions services across children's and adults' social care. The Commissioning Service has undergone a complete restructure to ensure that we commission services that:
- Put the individual child, young person, family or adults at the centre rather than the needs of services and organisations
- Genuinely promote coproduction with providers and children, young people, families and customers
- Deliver whole life pathways
- Are jointly commissioned across health and social care wherever possible
- Are innovative and support independence
- Provide value for money
This is an exciting opportunity to drive forward this transformation programme. This role will enable the post holders to work across the children's and adults' social care and health systems and develop the skills, knowledge and experience for aspiring Directors.
About the Role
You will lead a significant and complex programme of work to transform services in Wiltshire, both in terms of improving sufficiency, quality and value for money. You will be responsible for developing a strategic approach for micro commissioning accommodation and community-based support for individual or groups of vulnerable children and adults in line with our overarching commissioning strategies. You will lead a brokerage service comprising two adults' and one children's team, ensuring that they are matching customers with the appropriate provider/packages for their needs, at the lowest cost and within agreed timescales. You will also lead a range of provider and customer engagement contracts as well as the programme management of the adult social care savings plan.
You will provide advice, updates and support to the Executive Directors, Cabinet Members and Directors of operational services and Commissioning.
The post holder will play a key role in the direction of the new service. You will demonstrate inspirational leadership to ensure team members remain motivated and engaged with strategic aims and will encourage a culture of continuous development, learning and improvement across the service, with overall responsibility for performance against a complex programme of work which delivers effective and efficient services and ensures outcomes are focused on prevention as well as individual, family and community resilience.
As well as leading a teams for brokerage and commissioning, you will be responsible for engaging with both place based and at scale health commissioners. Key to your success will be the relationships you develop with operational colleagues, providers, user engagement groups as well as local and STP health commissioners, whilst also being a role model for the Council's behaviours framework.
You will likely be a graduate with a relevant professional qualification and/or equivalent experience within commissioning and management. You will have extensive experience of leading commissioning programmes, ideally across both health and social care, as well as of providing effective leadership and management within a relevant field. It is essential that you have strong commercial acumen and high-level financial management skills with the ability to identify and achieve savings and robustly manage budgets as well as the ability to build and maintain supportive relationships, securing stakeholder support and commitment to course of action.
What we can offer you
- The opportunity to work for a unitary Council which is truly innovative and was recommended as the "Best UK local council to work for 2017" by Glassdoor.
- An attractive "moving home" package for eligible candidates relocating closer to Wiltshire where there is the opportunity to live in a beautiful county where the cost of housing is competitive, crime rates are low and with great accessibility to Bath, Bristol and the south west coast and accessible to London by road and rail.
- 25 working days holiday plus bank holidays, rising to 30 after 5 years' service (pro-rata for part-time staff).
- Access to the local government pension scheme.
- Access to an excellent range of discounts, cashback and subsidised products and services with national and local retailers via our Wiltshire Rewards scheme.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults.
Interviews will be held week commencing 16th September 2019.