Head of Internal Audit, Fraud, Risk and Insurance
Help make Cornwall Council an even better place to be
With beautiful beaches and stunning countryside, Cornwall is an amazing place to work and live. Right now, Cornwall Council has even more to offer, as we embark on a significant investment programme aimed at generating social value and income to improve the economy of Cornwall. Amongst many exciting economic development initiatives, we're creating a Spaceport at Newquay Airport, a multi-use sports stadium and new homes for the people of Cornwall and not forgetting working with our group of companies. With so much happening, now's a great time to join our team. As Head of Service, you'll enjoy a wide-ranging role that offers the chance to develop.
Joining a vital team within an ambitious Council, you'll lead the Internal Audit, Fraud, Risk and Insurance service across four key areas. It's a fast-paced and demanding environment that calls for a talented leader. We need you to inspire our strong teams and advise at the highest levels. We'll also expect you to get to grips with the Council's transformation programme and support the Council with change. If you're switched on and delivery-focused, you could be just who we need.
With experience in a similar local government role, you'll bring excellent technical knowledge in Audit, Risk and Insurance. Building on strong foundations and robust measures already in place, you will be the Lead Officer for the Audit Committee and will use your expertise to support our Chief Executive and Senior Leaders to successfully deliver Cornwall priorities, while acting as a focal point for a strong, competent team. You'll also combine the confidence to challenge with natural teamwork skills.
To be successful in this role you will:
- Hold either a full Consultative Committee of Accountancy Bodies (CCAB) or a Chartered Member of the Chartered Institute of Internal Auditors (CMIIA) qualification with evidence of continuous professional development
- Have substantial experience in managing internal audit, corporate fraud, risk management and insurance functions at a senior management level, within a local authority or other organisation of comparable scope and complexity.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the statutory and financial framework within which local authorities operate and of emerging national agendas and policy issues.
- Experience of giving advice to and building relationships with senior management and Members
- A proven record of successful change management, delivering new working policies and practices alongside cultural and structural change
For an informal chat about this exciting professional challenge please call
Simba Muzarurwi | Head of Internal Audit, Risk and Insurance |
Melanie O'Sullivan | Service Director for Assurance and Monitoring Officer |
To discover more and how to apply, please visit
Interviews will be held on Friday 16th August.