HR Deputy Director
- Job Type
With a combination of practical 'hands on' HR expertise and a strong strategic focus, you will build a proactive approach to HR business partnering, resourcing, workforce planning, reward, and HR and OD strategy across the whole of MHCLG. Using your professional credibility, you will challenge and support others to develop a progressive approach to leading change and engaging our people. You will have knowledge and understanding of creating a high???performance culture alongside your track record of delivering great HR policies and services that have people's experience at their heart.
We are therefore looking for candidates who will be able to demonstrate exceptional leadership of specialist and generalist teams and be able to inspire others.
As one of the department's senior leaders, you will also be a strong and visible role model for the Civil Service leadership behaviours. These can be found in the Civil Service Leadership Statement available at
Leaders in MHCLG are also expected to role model our principles and values which complement the wider Civil Service Leadership Statement ( )
• Resourcing: Lead MHCLG's Resourcing Hub and SCS recruitment to support the department to hire the people we need, contributing to our diverse and inclusive culture. You will do this through fully embedding Success Profiles, making use of technology and measuring the outcomes in support of our diversity and inclusion strategy.
• Strategic Workforce Planning: Combine organisational insight and professional knowledge to develop our capability to foresee, model and plan our workforce needs. You will be data driven and understand both our current and future people capacity and capability needs drawing on an evidence base and working closely with finance and other colleagues.
• Reward: Oversee the whole reward cycle for SCS and delegated grades and deliver a coherent pay and reward strategy for MHCLG and our ALBs. This requires close working with our Trade Union colleagues and Cabinet Office.
• People Plan: Support the HR Director and the rest of the Executive Team in developing and delivering a people strategy that focuses on the right priorities in line with our principles and values and makes a measurable difference to employee experience and organisational effectiveness in MHCLG.
• Senior HR Business Partner: Working with a small BP team and other corporate functions, provide strong support and advice to one of our Directors General and their senior team, building a trusting relationship, interpreting business strategy and helping them identify people priorities within the departmental context.
• Leadership: Role model visible and inclusive leadership to improve engagement and performance. Within PC&C you will work collaboratively with your peers to attract, develop and retain our professional, respected and motivated team.
This is a high profile and demanding Deputy Director role which requires an ability to work at pace, think strategically and operationally, engage in complex problem solving, and work with others across MHCLG and beyond.
You will need to be an effective networker and influencer, bringing new ideas that work and thrive on handling a broad range of HR policy and operational issues.
You will be able to use your judgement, draw on data and use outside expertise to complement the expertise in the team. You will need to be able to engage effectively across functional boundaries at a senior level, and in particular cultivate a strong relationships with finance colleagues to deliver effective workforce planning.
You will also be an effective communicator, both orally and in your ability to produce compelling products which express complex ideas and data simply and engagingly to senior leaders and MHCLG colleagues.
You will be able to handle and balance a wide range of relationships, internally and externally, and to be credible at senior levels, including with Ministers, senior officials, and other stakeholders.
We actively encourage applications both from those within the Civil Service and outside.
• Motivation: You are motivated by the MHCLG mission and have a passion for enabling people to give of their best.
• Experience: You have a track record of operating in a senior HR role across complex and fast-moving organisations and proven experience of building trusted relationships with senior stakeholders, or you can provide evidence that you are ready to step-up to such a role.
• Developing self and others: You build capability at all levels of an organisation, for example through, resourcing, pay and reward or strategic workforce strategies.
• Changing and improving: You seek out opportunities to create effective change and suggest innovative ideas for improvement that you can demonstrate have worked.
• Inclusive leadership style: You can demonstrate how you have developed inclusive team cultures that deliver high performance against stretching goals as well as improving individual capabilities.
• Making effective decisions: You have the ability to analyse complex issues and data to inform strategic HR decision making.
• Technical: Fully CIPD qualified or be willing to work towards it within two years.
Assessment and How to Apply
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Developing Self and Others
- Changing and Improving
- Making Effective Decisions
For more details including how to apply, please use the following link: