Development Operations Manager
Job summary and Responsibilities
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a very successful track record of delivering transformational change. ECC anticipated change was needed in the public sector and has worked to deliver better quality at lower cost. We have an ambitious transformation agenda - one with the scope to reach every part of the council. We are changing the way we think, the way we work, and the ways in which we deliver our services. We are committed to becoming a place where individuals, partners and communities feel proud to play their role and genuinely want to belong. We're immensely proud of our flexible working options.
Essex Housing plays a critical role in the development and delivery of housing to cater for current and future needs for the citizens of Essex particularly in catering for more affordable housing, as well as, those more vulnerable in the community.
This role is focused on ensuring the successful delivery of work streams within housing projects, by ensuring detailed planning and monitoring across a portfolio of sites and development schemes. It will ensure consistently high quality of service and outputs are provided to ECC and its partners.
As an experienced individual within operations in the housing field or another similar project management / programme management background, this role will work with a broad range of stakeholders and partners from design stages to delivery, working collaboratively alongside public service partners, building contractors and development service professionals to deliver agreed outcomes.
In 2018/19 Essex Housing has secured approximately GBP2.5m of external funding through the One Public Estate programme (OPE). Essex Housing provide the secretariat and leadership for OPE in Essex, which brings together all public sector partners to collaborate on projects that make best use of public sector land. Essex Housing prides itself on its strong values of partnership working and coproduction and the successful candidate will be expected to work closely with partners through OPE and other ad-hoc projects, embodying those values in how they work.
• Be the first point of contact and operational lead for a portfolio of sites being developed by Essex Housing to ensure a consistently high quality service is provided to ECC and partners.
• Work collaboratively with officers across ECC and partner organisations as well as with building contractors and associated professional services (architects, surveyors, planners, agents and engineers) to support the smooth running of projects.
• Responsible for managing specific work streams to ensure critical information is managed, curated and updated. Accountable for monitoring progress and maintaining the effective operation of different projects for Essex Housing, as well as reporting requirements as part of external funding.
• Provides support in managing the resource budget and monitoring spend for specific work streams to ensure regular updates are provided to support budget management and efficient resource allocation.
• Contributes to the development of business cases by providing information and undertaking research, where necessary, ensuring all governance documentation and reporting is drafted to a consistently high standard for both ECC and partner organisations.
• Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework.
Knowledge, skills and experience
• Educated to degree level or equivalent by experience.
• Evidence of continuing professional development and expert knowledge in relevant professional area.
• Evidence of experience of working with external partners in the public sector in a local government and political setting.
• Experience of working on projects and familiar with project methodology.
• Experience of project financial management and within a budget.
• An understanding of risk management and a commissioning framework.
• Articulate and ability to communicate effectively and utilising such skills in developing a business case.
• An ability to work independently and take decisions within a defined framework of delegations.
Qualification certificates should be brought to interview.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please go to
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact the Essex Recruitment Team on *
*Calls to this number are charged in the same way as calls to numbers starting 01 or 02, please check with your service provider.