Team Manager - Fostering - Colchester
Job Purpose Summary:
To provide leadership and to manage a team of qualified social workers and alternatively qualified staff, in order to ensure a high quality professional social work service delivering positive outcomes. The postholder is responsible for managing performance, quality assurance, resources and budgets in collaboration with the Service Manager. They will contribute and support the development of practice, procedures and policy and specifically the professional development of the team they lead; being accountable for the practice of social workers within the team ensuring effective professional and practice supervision, as well as ensuring performance appraisals, take place. They support mentoring and coaching to enhance the quality of practice.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Role Specific Accountabilities
- Lead, motivate, nurture and manage a team (social workers and others), ensuring the service provided is effective, and delivering positive outcomes. Managing performance and quality assurance, resources and budgets, in collaboration with others and key stakeholders
- Agree interventions of direct work for team members working with children, young people, families and their carers
- To provide expert practice advice and guidance in relation to all work allocated within the team, including the most complex cases. Maintain expert professional knowledge of all relevant legislation.
- Comply with legislative and organisational standards and manage effectively so that performance targets and service objectives are met.
- To work proactively and collaboratively with other professionals and partner agencies, acting as the lead professional in collaborative work in situations where a social work perspective is needed to inform or drive decision-making
- Maintain a legally based, human rights perspective when interventions are made in the lives of individuals, families and communities experiencing complex social and family problems
Line Manager Core Accountabilities
- Manage the organisation to a high-performing, customer-centric culture through exemplar behaviour in accordance with ECC's Values and Core Leadership Behaviours.
- Manage employees in working flexibly and collaboratively across structural boundaries as part of project or process teams in support of key outcomes.
- Manage the development of organisational capability through good people management, including the training, development, mentoring and coaching of team members.
- Thinking creatively, challenging the norms, and constructively challenging those around them (including those more senior) to ensure continuous improvement, commercial astuteness, and inspire the same in employees.
- Manage and monitor the proper assessment, management and mitigation of risk, including Health and Safety and Business Continuity.
- Work as part of project or process teams as required under the new operating model, ensuring excellent cross functional output.
- To develop strategic approaches to the emergence of new safeguarding issues through research and networking with external agencies and partners to ensure a whole systems approach to adult safeguarding.
Skills and Experience
- Degree in Social Work, CQSW, CSS or equivalent
- Registration with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) as Registered Social Worker
- Previous Experience of:
- Delivery of services in Children's Social Care
- People Management
- Resource planning and management
- Quality assurance and customer care
- Achieving person centred outcomes
- Work with complex statistical, financial and performance information
- Policy development and change management
- Experience of working in a political environment, skills in understanding and responding to different perspectives and taking a cross organisational perspective
- Required to be mobile throughout Essex. To be able to attend meetings or provide cover in other locations. Driving licence and car or access to other effective transport arrangements is essential.
- Required to work flexibly as required, including evenings and weekends if necessary.
The role requires you to be mobile throughout a wide operational area including travelling around the county of Essex and beyond, transporting service users and their belongings and to be able to do so in an emergency. Driving licence and car is essential.
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit:
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact the Essex Recruitment Team on **Calls to this number are charged in the same way as calls to numbers starting 01 or 02, please check with your service provider
Working for Essex welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Working for Essex is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.