Insight and Service Design Team Lead
What will you be doing?
We are looking for a brilliant team lead to inspire and drive forward our Insight and Service Design Team. You will lead a team of user researchers and service designers to support the mission of Future Cities Catapult to ‘Advance urban innovation, to grow UK companies and make cities better’. You will provide content expertise and team leadership that results in high-quality outputs and effective project delivery, working with colleagues and our stakeholders, building our competencies, capacity and thought leadership. The role combines expert input into project development, scoping and delivery with senior leadership and team management responsibilities. Therefore, we are seeking a senior practitioner with industry experience of leading teams in the delivery of design or research projects.
- Provide excellent front line management to the members of the Insight & Service Design Team; including setting objectives, providing performance feedback, resourcing to projects, communicating corporate messages, and daily management.
- Support the Catapult’s strategy development, including identification of future priorities in the advanced urban services sector.
- Lead on deliverables for commercial and research projects that require significant user research and design work.
- Support and represent the Catapult’s thought leadership activities as one of the Catapult’s lead experts and proponents for the application of design within business and cities.
- Build, lead and manage the Insight & Service Design Team in delivery of user research, co-creation, prototyping and service design for projects across the Catapult.
- Support business development, project planning and resource management for external opportunities related to Insight & Service Design.
- Drive team productivity and quality of the team’s deliverables, including quality control.
- Nurture a supportive and productive culture that upholds the mission and values of the Catapult.
- You may be required to undertake any other reasonable duties to support the Catapult in achieving its strategic outcomes and ensure effective business operations.
Skills & Experience
- Innovation capabilities and hands-on experience in multiple domains are required; these can include areas such as commercial user research projects, public services, digital services and products.
- Proven leadership skills, running both teams and project delivery, including excellence in team-building and person management skills.
- Excellent knowledge of user-centred design and development methods and experience in using them in real-world projects.
- Previous experience of working within a business development role or environment, working to start, build and convert leads into new clients and project partners.
- Understanding of the UK and European collaborative R&D ecosystem.
- Good at managing relations with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels, being approachable while persuasive.
- Ability to guide the team through the design, development, testing and deployment stages and to review completed work effectively.
- Ability to match project tasks with opportunities for development so that employee potential is utilised to the maximum.
Detailed knowledge of the UK design and research sector and strong network of actors within this space.Understanding of service design in a public-sector environment, ideally within city governments in the UK and abroad.Ability to travel and work internationally.
This role closes on 21st June 2018. First round interviews will be held during the week commencing 25th June 2018.
Want to Apply?
If you meet the requirements please send your CV and portfolio with covering letter via our application portal and in your cover letter tell us why you're right for the job. the portal can be found through the APPLY button below. Please ensure all three are saved in one PDF and attached under CV.
Please note: The portfolio is compulsory, either as attachment or a website. We are interested in seeing your process, so feel free to include stages of your projects.