Category Manager (People)
LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON - COMMERCIAL SERVICES OPPORTUNITY
Category Manager (People) - GBP51,969 - GBP53,454 - ref 6288NR
This opportunity comes with an excellent benefits package including a Local Authority pension scheme, 31 days holiday + Bank Holidays and the potential for flexible working. You will also benefit from investment in training and development, and the opportunity to shape your career in an environment where the strategic significance and positive impact of procurement is recognised.
We are working exclusively with our client, the London Borough of Merton, to recruit a Category Manager (People) to work alongside internal customers, primarily in Children, Schools & Families and Community & Housing.
Procurement at Merton is changing and to achieve challenging targets, the Council requires skilled, commercially astute procurement professionals to help achieve significant savings. The role will be pivotal in leading and challenging the Council's approach to Category Management and its Make-or-Buy agenda. The role will also be integral in assisting the Council deliver against its Medium Term Financial Strategy (MTFS) and departmental Target Operating Models (TOMs) and its ambitions to be London's Best Council by 2020.
An ability to interrogate and drive value for money at all stages of the procurement cycle is integral to the success of this role. Robust and constructive relationship management skills will be vital, as well as an exceptional level of technical knowledge
This is an excellent opportunity for a procurement professional with a Category Management background and commercial and innovative acumen, to work in an environment and role that will add real value to the local community.
Led by the Head of Commercial Services the team's deliverables include:
- The development and delivery of robust, overarching Category Management plans; looking to redefine the Council's needs and requirements in order to ensure the best value service delivery models and delivery of key savings
- Managing a number of strategic commercial projects; driving a commercial approach to commissioning and procurement across the Authority, in line with EU requirements
- Proactively seeking new opportunities for the Council to procure and deliver services in new and more efficient ways, including greater incorporation of social value
- Developing and maintaining strong stakeholder relationships
- Identifying and exploiting opportunities to generate income
- Demonstrating a strategic, commercial and collaborative spirit
Key Candidate Criteria:
- In-depth knowledge and practical experience of procurement best practice and commercial delivery within a centralised function, ideally gained in both the private and public sectors.
- Strong working knowledge of category management and its commercial value coupled with the ability to challenge the status quo, influence and deliver best value
- Experience of managing and supporting staff effectively to meet departmental objectives and provide a customer focused service
- MCIPS certification or working towards MCIPS or relevant experience working within a professional / commercial procurement environment.
Why the London Borough of Merton?
As part of Merton's drive to be London's Best Council ', Commercial Services has received substantial investment to fund the expansion of the team to help deliver additional value to the council and community.
"These are exciting times at Merton; we are working to be London's Best Council, following on from our recognition as MJ Best Achieving Council in 2013. Merton is an ambitious Council that is delivering economic growth whilst maintaining a good quality of life and environment for all who live and work here". LB Merton Chief Executive, Ged Curran. Merton also received the award for Best Small Business Friendly Procurement to Support Local Trade 2017
For further information on this opportunity please submit your details in a Microsoft Word format via the button below or call (0) quoting the reference number above. All direct applications will be forwarded to Nathan Ramsay, Head of Permanent Practice - Public Sector at Langley Search & Interim.
Langley Search & Interim is a specialist search firm and interim provider of end-to-end Supply Chain roles, including Procurement and Operational Excellence positions across the UK, Europe and Internationally. We place senior level interim and permanent positions from global multinationals to SMEs, across Consumer, Industrial, Public Sector and Technology & Professional Services.
Take a look at our website at and join our LinkedIn community for the latest industry insight, news and more exciting opportunities. As the leading niche recruiter of end-to-end Supply Chain, Procurement and Operational Excellence jobs, we also provide valued career advice and support services for candidates.
Unfortunately, due to the high levels of response we receive, we are often unable to respond personally to every application. If you are suitable for the role for which you have applied, we will contact you.