Highways Inspector - 51288
£27-30k pa (based on experience) as part of an excellent package inc a mileage allowance
We are looking for a Highways Inspector with experience of the detail below.
About the role
We are looking for Highways Inspectors to undertake Safety Inspections, Auditing of Contractors Works, Insurance Inspections and Crossover functions in order to effectively and efficiently meet the Councils Network Management duties.
Purpose of Job:
- To operate within a team of Highway Inspectors undertaking Safety Inspections, Insurance Inspections and Crossover functions in order to effectively and efficiently meet the Councils Network Management duties.
- Auditing of completed works undertaken by the Highways Term Contractor.
- To assist the Senior Highways Inspector to ensure that the Inspections and other operations are carried out in accordance with documented procedures and in compliance with recommended codes of practice and to agreed timescales.
- Ensure the cost effective and efficient co-ordination of required works identified through the inspections including making effective use of internal resources and external contractors as needed.
- Effectively oversee the works carried out by third party contractors and the Authority to ensure compliance with regard to instructions, specifications, timescales and quality of works.
To assist in minimising claims and litigation opportunities by fully documenting all observations from site visits/investigations and ensuring appropriate actions are taken in accordance with documented procedures.
- Assist the Senior Highways Inspector in developing procedure documents which clearly define operational process and procedures.
- Assist the Senior Highways Inspector in producing reports as required that demonstrates that process and procedures are being complied with.
- To assist the Senior Highways Inspector in ensuring that the needs of customers and users of the public highway network in Barnet are met where the Council is responsible, justified and appropriate action is taken to establish and understand these needs and feedback is given.
- To ensure optimum levels of effective and efficient work output in line with agreed targets, priorities, service plans and the Corporate Plan.
- To carry out highway inspections, monitoring and investigations and record such in accordance with Codes of Practice and documented Policy and Procedure.
- Ensure effective liaison with other colleagues, services and appropriate outside agencies in order to facilitate efficient working.
- Promote continuous improvement and best value in the work of the section and to the service.
- Undertake inspections in line with key performance indicators and assessment tools to enable improvements to service and quality.
- To represent the Council and/or the Service, when necessary, and attend meetings, area forum, working parties, steering groups and public meetings as necessary and required.
- Assist in dealing with all claims, legal challenges and disputes against the Council that can have an impact financially and in terms of service delivery.
- Ensure that Customer Care strategies are implemented in accordance with agreed Council standards and practices.
- Ensure that communication processes within the team is efficient, timely and responsive to the needs of Members, council officers, service users and other stakeholders.
- Assist the Senior Highways Inspector in providing reports and financial information to the Highways Maintenance Manager.
- Ensure that information is available to enable accounts to be submitted on a monthly basis so that payments can be made to contractors in a timely manner.
- Keep accurate documentation to be used as justification for sums paid and/or monies withheld due to evidence of non-compliance.
- Assist as necessary with disputes relating to charges/invoices to ensure that income and budgets are not adversely impacted.
Health and Safety Responsibilities:
- Ensure safe and efficient delivery of service by achieving high standards of health and safety and reducing risk.
- To keep appraised of current Risk Assessments and safe methods of working are adhered to.
- Ensure that accidents and incidents are recorded
- Actively promote a strong Health and Safety culture amongst staff and contractors.
- NRSWA Supervision
- Member/associate member of a professional institution (Desirable)
Education and Experience
- Substantial experience in local government (Desirable)
- Some experience in highway engineering and/or management (Desirable)
- Some Experience of supervising contractors (Desirable)
- Good knowledge of current legislation (Essential)
- Experience of Panasonic “Toughpads”(Desirable)
Technical / Knowledge Requirements
- An understanding of specialist highway IT packages used for highway network management (E)
- Experience of using IT software including Microsoft Word, Excel and Project (E)
- Proven track record of monitoring Highway works (Essential)
- Ability to engage with Senior Officials internally and within Partner/Contractor/Utility organisations (Essential)
If you are a Highways Inspector, have the experience required above & are looking for a permanent role with a future, please apply & I will contact you asap. Thank you.
Ali/Number 8 Resourcing Ltd
Please don’t apply if you don’t meet the experience required!