Job title/Ref Senior Highways Development Control Engineer - 51624
Role type Permanent
Salary £40-45k pa (based on experience) as part of an excellent package.
About the role
Capita Re is looking for a Senior Highways Development Control Engineer to join our Highways Development Control team based in Barnet London working on some of the major regeneration schemes in the Borough. This role will see you undertake and deliver the regulatory functions of Highways Service on major highway infrastructure improvement projects in Barnet. In this role, you will lead to discharge the Council’s functions and responsibilities as a Highway and Planning Authority in connection with a wide range of locally and strategically important developments and regeneration schemes. You will work as part of the Highways Development Control Team and will lead in the delivery of highways infrastructure projects and associated highway legal agreements (i.e. S38 & S278 etc.) relating to all major highway infrastructure improvement proposals within Barnet.
What you will do:
- Processing of highway applications associated with highway development control process including dealing with S38, S278 applications under the Highways Act 1980
- Checking developer’s design submissions on highway applications to ensure conformity with current regulations, standards and specifications. Review technical documents and make professional judgements and give advice on the information presented. Reviewing detailed scheme designs and drawings will involve assessment of geometric layouts, junction layouts, construction details, drainage, SUDS, pedestrian and cycle facilities for developments of varying scale and complexity and may involve using computer aided methods.
- Liaise with stakeholders throughout the application process and advise on strategic highway matters
- Ensure development impacts of the highway are mitigated, and developments will be integrated to sustainable transport network, especially infrastructure for walking and cycling
- Evaluate the impact of highway network as a result of development and building schemes
- Advise developers on highway design and construction issues
- Liaise with Legal Services regarding highway issues including S38, 106 and 278 legal agreements
- Prepare and review estimates for highway works
- Identify, negotiate and secure by legal agreement transport and / or highway improvements (or contributions towards them) and assessment of commuted sums for the adoption of new infrastructure assets adopted by the authority. In addition, identify, quantify and justify the payment of commuted sums.
- To liaise with the developers to ensure S38 / 278 obligations are adhered to and to work closely with Legal Services to take effective action where developers fail to comply with the requirements of these agreements including attendance at Court as necessary
- To provide regular reports to Senior Officers and other interested parties on the status of contributions including the receipt of financial contributions and the progress of works
- Processing of Stopping Up applications, Highway Licences, Projection Licences under the Highways Act 1980 and Town and Country Planning Act 1990
Your experience will include:
- Experience as a highway designer including a detailed understanding of the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges and the principles of Manual for Streets
- Must be able to demonstrate suitable experience in traffic / highway engineering / transport and development planning
- Wide experience of highways development management and / or related highways discipline including processing of S38 and S278 applications
- Experience of highway design, construction and drainage techniques
- General knowledge of planning, development and transport policies and associated legislation
- Demonstrate the ability to programme, supervise and monitor a number of projects / applications simultaneously from inception to completion
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Good IT skills
- Good time /budgetary management skills
- Working knowledge of basic legislation
- Supervising & Mentoring
What’s in it for you?
At Capita, training and development aren’t optional extras: they’re how we do our job. We will motivate you to perform at your peak, recognising your achievements and rewarding them appropriately. As well as a generous basic salary we also give you 23 day’s holiday, company pension scheme and access to voluntary benefit options including; child care vouchers, share save scheme, life assurance, holiday buy and many more designed to suit your own personal lifestyle. All of this, in a professional but fun environment.
If you are a Senior Highways Development Control Engineer, have the experience required above & are looking for a permanent role with a future, please apply & I will contact you asap. Thank you.
Ali/Number 8 Resourcing Ltd
Please don’t apply if you don’t meet the experience required