Development Control Engineer - Traffic/Highways
Development Control Engineer - 50217
We are looking for a Development Control Engineer with experience of traffic highways engineering, transport and development planning.
About the role. We are looking for a Development Control Engineer to become a member of the Highways Development Control Projects Team. You will be primarily responsible for assisting the Traffic and Development Manager in ensuring the delivery of highways infrastructure projects and associated highway legal agreements (i.e. S38, S278 etc.)
Highways. With 700km of road and 1400km of footways, the London Borough of Barnet is the second largest of the London Boroughs. In 2015, the London Borough of Barnet became the most populous borough in London. This increase has been driven in part by the councils growth agenda and by the popularity of Barnet as a place to live, with high quality housing and good transport connections. The management, maintenance and improvement of Barnets complex and vital network is the responsibility of the Highways department of Re. From construction to completion; our highways team deal with all elements of highway design and works not only for Barnet, but for other local authorities.
What you will do:
- Processing of highway applications associated with highway development control process including dealing with S184, S38, S278 applications under the Highways Act 1980
- Identify, negotiate and secure by legal agreement transport and / or highway improvements (or contributions towards them) and assessment of commuted sums for the adoption of new infrastructure assets adopted by the authority. In addition, identify, quantify and justify the payment of commuted sums.
- To ensure that accurate financial information (including forecasting) is provided in relation to ensuring the services business objectives are met.
- Management of detailed records for all schemes; Ensure delivery of legal agreements, calculation and collection of financial bonds, commuted sums and fees.
- To organise and be accountable for the effective monitoring of Highway Legal agreements
- To liaise with internal and external partners to ensure triggers for payments are identified and acted upon and to ensure payments are received
Education & Qualifications
- ONC/HNC or Degree in Civil Engineering / Transportation
- Membership of an appropriate highway institution such as IHT, IHIE, ICE etc (desirable)
- Must be able to demonstrate suitable experience in traffic / highway engineering / transport and development planning
- Proven experience in processing Highways Development Control functions such as S184 / S38 / S278 / Stopping Up Orders / Highway Planning Applications etc
- Wide experience of highways development management and / or related highways discipline
- Experience of highway design, construction and drainage techniques
- Working knowledge of basic legislation
- General knowledge of Planning, development and Transport Policies and associated Legislation
- Demonstrate the ability to programme, supervise and monitor a number of projects / applications simultaneously from inception to completion
- Experience of working with Consultants / Contractors
- Excellent literacy and numeracy skills
- Managing Complex Engineering Projects (Desirable)
- Detailed understanding of standards & guidelines - DMRB Manual for Streets
- Competent user of Microsoft Office specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Publisher
- Good Written and Verbal Communication skills
- Good IT skills
- Good Time and budgetary management skills
- Use of AutoCAD (Desirable)
Disposition / Circumstances
- Confident, self-motivating and innovative
- Able to work without close supervision
- Flexibility to occasionally work outside normal business hours
- Valid Driving Licence
- Own means of transport (Desirable)
If you are a Development Control Engineer, have the experience required above & are looking for a permanent role with a future, please apply & I will contact you asap. Thank you. Ali/Number 8 Resourcing Ltd
Please don’t apply if you don’t meet the experience required!