Public Affairs Officer
Job Title: Public Affairs Officer
Contract Status: Permanent - Full time
The Nursing and Midwifery Council regulates nurses and midwives in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland setting standards of education, training, conduct and performance so that nurses and midwives can deliver high quality healthcare throughout their careers.
Our strategy for the next five years sets out how we will develop our work to protect patients and the public effectively and efficiently. It places dynamic regulation at the centre of what we do and sets out where we think we should focus our energies and resources in order to promote standards of care and practice.
About the role
You will support the public affairs and stakeholder engagement function to develop and maintain relationships with key stakeholders in line with the NMC's strategic objectives.
Skills and experience required
- Educated to degree level or relevant experience.
- Experience of working in a public affairs/external relations function is essential.
- Experience of working effectively to influence others at a national level.
- Demonstrable experience of achieving results through partnership working.
- Strong working knowledge of the UK political landscape.
- Ability to think broadly and capable of horizon scanning.
- Understanding of the impact of devolution on policy and legislation.
- Ability to prepare, interpret and present complex information to a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Highly organised with ability to plan, project manage and deliver.
- Ability to work to deadlines and prioritise workload in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Understanding of key health and regulatory policy issues is desirable.
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to build strong relationships with stakeholders and colleagues.
- Exceptional accuracy and attention to detail.
- Politically astute with a good understanding of the external influences that have an impact on the NMC's ability to deliver its core regulatory responsibilities.
- Assertive, resilient and critical thinker.
Why work for the NMC?
- 30 days holiday and eight days paid bank holidays
- flexible working arrangements
- child care vouchers
- cycle to work
- staff discounts with high street retailers
- subsidised on-site restaurant
- season ticket loans
- BUPA regulated Employee Assistance Programme
For more information about the role please read the job description and the person specification. If you feel that this role is for you, please a copy of your CV along with covering letter detailing your suitability for the role by email via the button below. For further information please visit our website.
Closing date for completed applications: 26 th September 2017
Interview Date: 4 th or 5 th October 2017
The NMC is an employer that values the diversity of its workforce and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Registered Charity in England and Wales  and in Scotland [SC038362]