Business Relationships and Enterprise Manager
Salary range: GBP43,815 - GBP46,608 p.a. inc.
Hours of work: 36 hours per week
Location: Civic Centre and other locations from time to time
Tackling unemployment, raising skills, and supporting economic growth in Brent
Brent is a tremendously vibrant London borough where the iconic arch of Wembley Stadium dominates the skyline. Spanning both inner and outer London, it is a borough of huge contrasts in terms of its economic, environmental, ethnic and social make up. Brent's diversity is evident to all who visit our borough and our long history of ethnic and cultural diversity has created a place that is truly unique and valued by those who live and work here.
Economic growth is a priority for the council. The borough is undergoing a period of significant growth and regeneration - particularly in South Kilburn, Wembley Park, Old Oak Common and Park Royal. Wembley and Alperton are also due to benefit from new Housing Zones. There is a need to support these developments and ensure that growth supports local businesses in our key Town Centres and generates employment for local people.
The Business Relationships and Enterprise Manager will lead on defining the council's approach to Growth and strengthening the council's relationship with the business community. The post holder will:
- Attract new businesses to the area by capitalising on the current and planned development impacting on the borough, such as Wembley, Old Oak Common, Crossrail and HS2;
- Take forward the recently created Brent Business Board's vision to grow the Brent economy - maximise the council's relationship with Board members and manage the running of the Board;
- Coordinate an effective joined-up response to business needs and promote the council-wide 'offer to business', including the development of a new online business portal;
- Provide capacity building support to business networks;
- Secure funding to regenerate Brent's Town Centres;
- Access resources to provide businesses support to the borough's new and growing businesses;
- Promote the council's new supply chain initiatives;
- Support businesses to 'give-back' through corporate social responsibility activities.
We are seeking an Economic Development/ Regeneration expert who has a thorough understanding of the London economy, including:
the needs of businesses in Boroughs like Brent;
unemployment and social exclusion in disadvantaged, multi-racial communities;
and the positive action that Local Authorities can take to address market failure.
Excellent leadership and analytical skills are crucial; with an ability to synthesise information and to ensure that decisive action is taken by inspiring a range of stakeholders.
The successful candidate will have experience of:
- working for or in partnership with businesses and business groups;
- fundraising and bid writing;
- managing services or programmes to successfully deliver outcomes;
- managing projects to time and budget;
- commissioning including developing service specifications - tendering, selection and monitoring of external providers;
- working collaboratively across the public, private and voluntary sectors to deliver improved outcomes.
Closing Date: 13 August 2017 (23:59)
Assessment & Interview Date: To be confirmed
Brent Council values the diversity of its community and aims to have a workforce that reflects this and therefore encourage applications from all sections of the community.
Applications are particularly welcome from people with a disability as they are under represented across the council.
All organisations and individuals who work with children and young people, or are involved in providing services for them have a duty to safeguard and promote their welfare
We are committed to safer recruitment and safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Before you join Brent Council, you will need to provide your National Insurance (NI) number and undergo a Home Office Standard I.D. check.
Please note CVs will not be considered as part of your application for this position.