This job is no longer available
Playing a key role in maximising the recovery of outstanding Council Tax and NNDR, you will ensure that all enforcement options are vigorously pursued, including levying distress (seizure and removal of debtors’ goods), committal to prison proceedings, execution of Arrest Warrants, bankruptcy and charging order proceedings. Continuing to develop the City Council’s internal bailiff service will also be a priority.
· Assist the Income and Payments Manager in the pursuit of the effective and efficient collection of outstanding Council Tax and Non Domestic Rates.
· Supervise and monitor the daily activities of the Bailiff Team and Court Officers, ensuring correct actions are identified in pursuit of maximising recovery.
· Supervision, management and motivation of the Bailiff and Court Teams
· Development of monthly performance monitoring information on the recovery of debts due to bailiff and court actions.
· To prepare regular and timely performance monitoring information
· Maintain accurate records, statistics and files
· Preparing and actioning cases for Bankruptcy action and monitoring activity of bankruptcy cases.
· Liaison with customers by telephone, correspondence and in person to maximise the recovery of debt.
· To identify, negotiate, set up and monitor payment arrangements as necessary with high-level debtors in agreement with the Income and Payments Manager
· To take an active role in reviewing processes and procedures and specifying recovery and financial system requirements
· Representing PCC at Portsmouth Magistrates and County Courts and the administration of associated legal documents and paperwork
· Ensuring that all cases of insolvency, receivership, administration and voluntary arrangement affecting Portsmouth City Council corporately are effectively administered, including the completion of claim documents and attending creditors’ meetings on behalf of Portsmouth City Council.
We are committed to ensure staff enjoy a rewarding role at PCC and so offer extensive training opportunities; 26 day holiday, raising to 30 after 5 years service; city centre location with onsite café; contributory pension with final salary benefits; discounts available from local businesses
Who is the person?
You will need:
1. To have worked in or closely with the bailiff industry
2. Current or previous holder of a bailiff’s general certificate would be an advantage
3. To have passed the ESA bailiff written examination would be an advantage
4. IRRV qualification or other relevant business or management would be an advantage, as would evidence of professional development
5. Knowledge of Council Tax and NNDR Legislation is essential
6. Experience of Local Taxation Recovery and Enforcement
7. Experience with insolvent debtors, including administrations, liquidations, IVA’s, CVA’s and bankruptcies would be an advantage.
8. Experience of dealing directly with the public
9. Strong IT skills and experience with debt recovery systems
10. Experience of preparing and presenting performance management information
11. Excellent negotiation skills
12. Excellent communication and presentation skills and the ability to present cases in Court.
13. Excellent numeracy skills
14. Proven experience in the management and development of staff and be able to supervise and motivate a team
15. Ability to work to and set targets and monitor performance against those targets
16. Excellent verbal and written communication skills and good interpersonal skills
17. Good organisational skills and be able to prioritise work and concentrate time on the most important matters
18. Awareness of the Data Protection legislation and other legislation relevant to debt recovery work.